Most Provost IT-supported computers will automatically add the appropriate printer(s) to your user account based on your building location and department. You can verify this by attempting to print a document from your computer.
If a printer you wish to print to does not appear automatically, you may follow these instructions to add a printer on a Windows 7 computer:
- Click on the Start button, then click on Devices and Printers.
- Click Add a printer in the upper-left main toolbar.
- Select the second option, Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
- Wait about 15 seconds for the list of printers to populate. Printers are organized by their location. If you see the printer you want to connect to in the list, click on its name and then click Next. If the printer you are looking for does not appear, click The printer that I want isn't listed (screenshot below). Alternatively, if you receive a message that you do not have permission to access that printer, please contact us and provide the full name of the printer you are trying to add.
- If you clicked on The printer that I want isn't listed, now click on Find a printer in the directory, based on location or feature. Then, click Next.
- In the new window that appears, find the printer you are looking to connect to and then double-click its name in the list. Printers are organized by their location. If you do not see the name of the printer you are trying to connect to, contact us for assistance. Alternatively, if you receive a message that you do not have permission to access that printer, please contact us and provide the full name of the printer you are trying to add.
- Wait for the printer software to load into your computer.
- Click Next again. On the final page, you may choose to set this printer as your default printer by checking the box that appears. You may additionally choose to print a test page by clicking the Print a test page button.
- Click Finish. The printer has been added and is now visible to other applications on your computer.