Provost IT uses an IT automation package called Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager to deploy and advertise software and updates to the computers we manage. Through an application called Software Center installed on your computer, you can choose to install many programs made available by Provost IT.
Provost IT also uses this computer to deploy software patches to all the computers we manage on a regular basis. If you see a notification about software changes required, this means that there are updates waiting to be run on your computer. You may install them at any time you choose until the deadline. Once the deadline is reached, the updates will start automatically.
Installing an Application
To install an available application through Software Center please follow the below instructions:
- Open the Start menu.
- Click All Programs.
- Choose Microsoft System Center 2012.
- Choose Configuration Manager.
- Choose Software Center.
- In Software Center, choose the software you want to install on the Available Software tab.
- Click Install.
- You can follow the installation status of your software on the Installation Status tab.
- Once your software has been installed, the Status column should be updated to “Installed” and your software should be listed under the Installed Software tab.
- If the status of your software says Waiting for the next available maintenance schedule, it is configured to install in off hours. Desktop computers have a nightly maintenance window between 11:00 PM and 4:00 AM during which software and updates will install.
- If your software does not install or returns with a status of “Failed”, please contact Provost IT.
- When you see a notification icon, like this , in the notifications area of your task bar, it means there are updates waiting to be run on your computer.
- Right clicking on the icon will show you a menu.
- Clicking the option View Required Updates will give you the window below.
- Here you can choose to apply the updates now, or set them to install outside of your business hours.
- If you have not set your business hours, you can click on the link View my configured business hours.
- After settings business hours, you may choose to have the updates apply then, or apply them immediately.
- Some updates will require restarts as well. If you select, apply changes now, you will need to restart manually. If you select apply outside business hours, you can check the box below it to have software center restart as part of the installation process.
- Please note, once the deadline has been reached or passed, most updates will install immediately. If you believe this will impact your work, please install the updates at a time of your choosing before the deadline.